Friday, April 02, 2010

Hotmail Hijacking

I meant to post this last week, but well, I just plain forgot to do it. It first came to my attention when I received multiple e-mails from students that started with "Dear friend". That caught my attention depending on the sender's address. When I had just conferenced with a student to say "You are failing all of my courses." I don't think I would be getting a Dear friend e-mail.

The e-mail continues to state that they have just become distributors for electronic equipments such as MP3 players, DVD players, and the list continues. With the first e-mail, I thought the student was becoming entrepreneurial, but it seemed so out of character, I was suspicious. Yet, I just hit delete and forgot about it. Then, within the next couple of days, I received dozens of these letters from different senders, so I looked for a commonality. Yep, they all had Hotmail addresses. 

A quick Google search showed that Hotmail accounts had been hijacked. Some reports stated GMail accounts were corrupted also, but I never received one from a GMail account. Later that day, there was a notice in the GMail blog about security and what they are doing to beef it up. And, yes, APPLE products were equally bothered since this was a Hotmail issue and not a virus or trojan.
You can read more about it here.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment