Friday, June 20, 2014

Call Me the Human Shar-Pei

For the last couple of weeks, I have been suffering with dryness on my eyelids extending up into my eyebrows. Since my eyebrows are not naturally thick, the scaliness was definitely apparent. Some people commented it was just in need of moisturizing, but I generally do this daily anyway.

As time went on, I noticed there was a sandy feeling on my eyelids. This alerted me to there really being a problem. I used natural oils to moisturize them before bed, but it did not help. It just kept getting worse while my eyelids swelled. It was when my eyesight started getting blurry that I started getting really concerned.

After consulting WebMD, it looked like I may have blepharitis. Repeated searches on various sites all came to the same symptoms and conclusions.

One of my former students that come to the university to meet me to pick up some things I was getting rid from my office. She went with me across the street to a pharmacy, to ask the pharmacist to look at my eyes to see if there was some over-the-counter medication I could buy to treat them. The pharmacist said that I would need to see a doctor, since the medication would require a prescription.

Later that day I went to our house doctor. On Thursday his hours are 4pm to 8pm. I was so proud of myself being there at 3:30pm and being the first one in line. About 10 minutes after my arrival to elderly gentleman arrived and took their seats to my left. We sat there patiently waiting for the nurse or the doctor to arrive. Close to 4pm, a nurse from the other side of the building happened to come over to an office close to where we were sitting. She looked at us with a question on her face, but didn’t say anything immediately. She walked over to our doctor’s office door, slapped on the sheet of paper taped to the door, and turned to us and said something in an incomprehensible Hungarian. At least the Hungarian was incomprehensible to me. I waited to see the reaction of the two gentlemen before making a move. They both continued to sit there as did I because I was not giving up my place. The nurse continued to hit the sign on the door, clearly enunciating the word nincs. It was then that I took a good look at the side and with my limited Hungarian knowledge realized that the doctor was going to be gone till June 17.

I finally returned to the doctor after he returned from his vacation, he looking dapper and tan, while I looked like a Shar-Pei puppy. He prescribed a steroid ointment for me to put on my eyes, but said if this doesn’t work I will have to see a dermatologist. I am hoping that this does work. My experience with the dermatologist here has not been the most positive sense getting an appointment proves to be extremely difficult. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

Pin It Now!


Post a Comment