Thursday, November 03, 2011

Between Nymphenburg and a Hard Rock

Ron indulged in an excessive breakfast compared to his norm; it was not surprising that shortly thereafter, he was back in bed with as stomach ache. I blame it on our hosts who were back home. They put out quite a spread, none of which I ate due to my diet. I treated myself later at the market.

The primary trek for today was the Nymphenburg Palace, where King Ludwig II was born.  It was relatively easy to reach by public transport, but we made a mistake taking tram 16/17, which at one point changed to tram 11. We had to backtrack and get a tram 16 for the rest of the route. There is a stop right by the palace, which is set back from the road making for a breathtaking view. 

The palace sits within a park of 490 acres. There are two lakes with multiple dozen swans, geese, and ducks. It is the most enormous building I have seen. If you were allowed to tour the entire building, it would take you a minimum of two complete days. It was originally built in 1675 for the then electorate and his wife, the predecessors of kings. With each generation it was added to, creating the pavilions Amalienburg, Badenburg, Pagodenburg, and the Magdalenenklause. We toured the main building, which was plenty. Baroque, baroque, baroque everywhere baroque. This has never been my cup of tea. Even here, it seems so overdone.


It was funny that Ludwig's father had a "Room of Beautiful Women", where he had portraits done of any woman he considered the pinnacle of beauty. Although there were no blondes or redheads, his taste really ran the gamut.


Museum entrance also provides admission to the Marstallmuseum, which is the collection of the royal carriages and sleighs.  The first impression was that this would be less interesting than the inside of the palace. Not true. It was pretty incredible how those royals indulged in finery for their carriages and sleighs. Since Ludwig II was a bit light in loafers, he could not have a "Room of Beautiful Women", so not to be outdone by his father, he had a "Room of his favorite horses". Like his father, they ran the gamut to.


All the way back to town, we scoured the streets looking for computer stores. It seemed that I would need to replace my netbook and thought it may be easier here in Germany finding an English keyboard than it would be in Hungarian or getting someone to bring it over from the US. The first problem was in finding a computer store. They are as rare as King Ludwig's list of girlfriends. After looking for block after block we finally found one. No luck with the keyboard, but then I had an idea. I could use an external keyboard. That they did have in English, but only one, which was made for a PDA, but was USB. The package was slightly scarred the salesman said. It was 9 Euros so I bought it feeling good that I would soon be typing away once again.


When we returned, I hooked up the computer, checked the regular keyboard, which was still not working.  I plugged in the new keyboard and Windows showed that it was installed and ready to go. Nothing. It did not work, period. No, not even the period worked. Checking the directions it seems there should have been a disk that contained the drivers necessary for the thing to operate, but that was missing. It didn't really matter as a netbook has no CD/DVD drive anyway, so it would have been useless. But then how does a PDA use it, through a computer connection? I found the website for the manufacturer, which happens to be in Maryland. Darn if I could find anywhere on their site to download drivers. Not to be found. I started to contact their support line, but then it occurred to me that the reason I had this damn thing was because I couldn't fully use the keyboard to type anyway. It took me a good fifteen minutes just getting the URL in the browser. Well, so much for being able to type.


Ron and I collect Hard Rock pins. BUT, we only collect them from places we have traveled to, making for an emotional connection. Sometimes we have had to acquire them after the fact. For example, we had the daughter of a friend bring us one from Peru, because when we were in Lima, there was no Hard Rock. The Munich Hard Rock is not grandiose, but very comfortable, so we stayed for dinner. There were enough oldies being played for us to be able to reminisce and stroll down memory lane.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment