Sunday, October 30, 2011

Training for Twists and Turns

Slovenia train travel spoiled us for this trip. Then it was an easy 9 hours relaxing in a cabin for six with only the 2 of us most of the time. Our train to Munich was not so fabulous, though the RailJet promised luxury even in 2nd class. We were in one large open carriage; our seats were two to two facing each other with a table between us. It would not have been so bad if it were only the two of us occupying four seats, but a Hungarian grandma was with us. Okay, still not bad, but she did take up more of her seat than RailJet's designers had probably intended, spreading her girth into my train space. Still being generous with my seat, the legroom was minimal. If I had not been taking Pilates and Ron, yoga, we would have had difficulty twisting into the necessary pretzel positions to sit with a modicum of comfort. 

Grandma was traveling with her 2 darlings under 10 year old grandsons who were sitting behind us. If any nationality could earn a gold medal for nonstop talking, it is Hungarians. Those kids were talking the minute we got on the train, twenty minutes before it left, and never, ever shut up the entire trip. This is not to say they were bad, they were well behaved, but talk, talk, talk. They could teach how to do a Congressional filibuster without a second thought.  

To add to the mix, I woke up with a cold this morning. I had felt a dry throat for days, but with all of my sinus issues, it never really means anything until a full outbreak. The cold broke out this morning. A nose that was running a marathon with the intention of gaining the gold medal, I could not keep it in tissues. If I could diaper it, it would have needed changing every hour. It was not fair. I have been looking forward to this trip for weeks.

We arrived in one piece, though cramped, found our way to the underground station we needed, and hunted for buying a single ticket. There are no booths, but there are dozens of ticket machines, but even the directions in English are not totally understandable. We needed to change lines after one stop; do we need 2 tickets like we would in Budapest? I asked a cop who was in a huddle with a gaggle of other cops. He excused himself from the group, went with me to a machine and gave directions as he punched in the information needed. We only needed 2 one way tickets, each at 2.50 Euros. Our host had weekly passes ready for us when we arrived. Seven day passes are a paltry 12.30 Euros, a substantial savings.

As we approached our B and B, it soon occurred to me that we were staying in an apartment building, not a house as I had thought. The only problem with this was that our host will be gone until November 2nd; he has a friend waiting for us. We didn’t know anyone's last name, so didn’t know what bell to push. We are standing out in the cold, wondering what to do. Ron wanted to press all buttons and ask if anyone knew which apartment we needed. I remembered I had the guy’s home number and was directed to call so his friend could answer if we ran into trouble finding it. I called, she answered. We made it in. We are alone until November 1st when a Danish guest will arrive. The hosts return on the 2nd. They left breakfast food for us in the fridge.

We found with the help of the friend, a lovely typical neighborhood Bavarian restaurant down the street. After close to 3 weeks of the Atkins diet, I blew it with a cabbage salad and a beer. I am saving my first pretzel for the Hofbrauhaus.

After dinner, I hit the bed with the hopes of sleeping off the cold. By 1:30, I was up and wake. Time for a sleepy time pill to do the trick.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment