Friday, September 29, 2006

In the Evening, Ain't We Got Peanut Butter

I am an avid note writer for Frommers.com and especially for Budapest. Loving this city, I have to share my enthusiasm with others and invite them to ask me questions before they visit. With the past riots, I posted the news as I knew it so that those planning on coming were not daunted by the happenings to the point of canceling their trip. There were about thirty e-mails from people far and wide asking me for updates and I was thrilled to be able to soothe their fears. One young woman was amongst the many and wrote a number of times, creating a pen-pal situation. She was a delightful correspondent who had a heart-warming story to share. She was a Desert Storm vet, who had to be in a wheelchair. Budapest is not wheelchair friendly, so I had my doubts about her ability to fully enjoy the city. After a number of e-mails back and forth, she asked me if there was anything I would like from the States. I never refuse peanut butter, but I also include that it is not necessary for my e-mail friendship. Cyndi and her husband Dennis arrived in Budapest and gave me a call. We arranged to meet at their hotel due to her mobility concerns. I went to meet and visit them this evening. I never expect any rewards when I post on travel sites, but when I meet special people such as these two, it renews my faith in the human race. Cyndi shared some of her history as an Army WAC and as a vet. Her stories nearly brought tears to my eyes, but she shared them with such courage, my heart swelled with empathy. Her cheerfulness and willingness to cope with the obstacles of travel with an electric wheelchair are beyond my scope of imagination. Of course, it was obvious to me that she has a fantastic support system in Dennis, her husband. His robust laughter interspersed with the trials and tribulations they have had definitely de-stresses any situation. They are a remarkable couple and I feel honored to have met them both. All good deeds are rewarded at some point, but Cyndi and Dennis gave me immediate gratification with a bag containing four jars of peanut butter. Each and every time my tongue is stuck to the roof of my mouth, I will give a silent "Thank you!" for the gift.

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment