Friday, August 18, 2006

Museum of Transportation

After a number of false starts I finally made it to the Museum of Transportation today. I must have passed this museum a dozen times, but never noticed it. I took the metro to the furdo stop and walked. If I had just taken the 74 bus from around the corner from my home, I would have gotten off at the stop right across the street from the entrance.

As you get close, the museum is obvious with the real, but out of service steam locomotive outside. There is also a plane and models of bridges. The fee to get in is only 400 Huf, but there are no photo tickets. If I read the sign correctly, one can use their mobile phone camera, but no cameras. Bags need to be checked, so unless your camera is small, unlike mine, there is no chance of sneaking it in.

The museum is a grand fully modern design with obvious thought put into the display space. The locomotives, railroad cars, and tramcars that were formerly functional are pleasantly spaced for room to view and walk around them. There are multiple model railroad displays throughout the first floor. They are timed to be operational for 15 minutes an hour. The entire first floor is devoted to rail transport.

Being a son of a long time railroad worker and being a rail worker myself for a couple of years, I was transported back in time to the days I accompanied my father to work. I remember riding one of the last steam locomotives as a young child and was able to ride in the engine since my dad knew the engineer.

The second floor was devoted to maritime history. The walls were covered with shipping news dating back to the Egyptians.

There are other galleries off to the right and left of the main galleries, but were roped off for some unknown reason. I could have spent much more time here; however, it was blistering hot inside. Virtually nothing was in English, making this a visual experience, but not learning one.

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment