Saturday, December 30, 2006

Etosha National Park Game Drive

We had to wake at 5:00 this morning to be at the truck by 5:45. We are going on a safari drive and I guess the animals are early risers, so we have to catch them before the sun and heat make them as lethargic as it does us. We are only having coffee and tea and then breakfast will be after our drive. Bruce wants to be at the gate of the park when it opens at 6:30.

The drive was good, but this truck is not suitable for safari drives. Last year, we drove in an open vehicle and it was so much better for viewing. When you have 20 people in a closed truck, it is impossible for everyone to get the photos they want and the animals are not going to stand around and pose waiting for us to finish taking pictures.

We were in awe at the number of zebras, giraffes, and impalas we saw, but no lions, leopards or elephants. After returning to the camp, we checked out of our rooms. We are spending another night in the park, but on the other side. We drove around the park for three hours then went to a rest stop for lunch. We had three hours break here and a swimming pool for those that wanted to cool off. We no longer had a towel, so there was no sense in dragging out our suitcases for the suits, though Ron did and air dried. I sat under a tree and read, but it was SO hot, it knocked me out and I fell asleep on the bench by the pool. I hate that feeling of waking up more groggy than if you had not slept at all, but that is how I was feeling. I cannot keep my eyes open today and it is so hot and humid, making it even worse. I feel like I have been drugged. Hmmm….have I said anything to upset Bruce enough to have drugged my food? No, I don’t think so.

There seems to be a definite energy difference on the truck. Ron heard others comment about it too, so it is not just me. I am not certain if it is the time on the truck or the absence of the kids that is doing it. Perhaps it is just the heat. Everyone seems to be sleeping more. I keep taking naps, though I really want to see the animals. Each time I sensed the truck stop, I woke with a fright, feeling excitement building. After last year, in Krueger, I really hate this truck for the safari drives. There are not enough open windows for everyone to get shots. I am also getting cramped in these seats. It seems the legroom is shrinking each day. Ron moved back with Thomas one row back so I could stretch my leg. Poor Thomas has to give up his space, but he seems to like Ron.

Tomorrow when we reach Windhoek, we will say good-bye to Dirk and Harm. I am going to miss their quiet energy and soft humor.

When we returned to the camp du jour, we went to reception for keys, then a shop stop. Another forty-five minute drive followed adding to the list of hundreds of zebras, giraffes, and springboks, we have seen. Perhaps they are all the same ones over and over again and they are really placed on a giant rotating plate to pass by us every forty-five minutes. My anger over this truck for animal viewing is building each hour.

Finally, I scored us a chalet closer to where the truck is parked with only a short distance to walk. Up until now, we have had the places the farthest from the truck and had to lug our luggage, while the young strong bucks are close by.

Again, we are sharing a chalet with Omo and Jean who we get along with stupendously. Dinner is at 8:00 pm around the campfire with nice camaraderie. Those who went to the watering hole on this side of the park said it was not as good as the other side, so we did not bother. No one has seen any animals there, only birds.

Pin It Now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment